Why Covenant Groups
- Every leader is either coming out of a season of special challenge, in the middle of a season of special challenge or heading into a season of special challenge! In a post Christian culture, facing complexities and moral ambiguities as never seen in our lifetime, leadership is more challenging than ever.
- Many ministers feel overwhelmed and deeply discouraged to the point that in a 2017 survey 43% reported that they were seriously considering dropping out of ministry. We now know that 70% drop out after 10 years and that 90% do not finish well.
- Soul Care Covenant Groups are designed to provide a safe and confidential setting for leaders to candidly process the hard hits and the heart hits that inevitably come their way. A covenant group is a healthy community in which each member is seeking something for the others and committed to helping one another serve well and finish well. Sadly, those who talk the most about community typically experience and enjoy it the least!
How It Works
- The model we follow is typically 4-3-2-1; four leaders, meeting over three years, twice a year in retreat and once a month by Zoom or phone calls with an experienced facilitator. This model allows honest, transparent and even vulnerable sharing as relationships deepen through the consistent devotion of a disciplined community. The group is not out to “fix others” or even to hold others accountable; rather, the commitment to be close establishes an atmosphere where all of this consistently occurs.
- Transformation is not an event; it’s a journey. It only happens on purpose, over time and in community. Soul work is not only slow work but shared work. Just as no one can speed their way into a soul satisfying relationship with God, neither can anyone speed their way into a soul enriching relationship with others.
- A covenant group is a relational agreement based upon trust. No leader will ever be stronger or more secure than the small circle of other leaders who surround and support him. We were made for life-enriching relationships. Community is at the heart of true Christianity, and true community can’t be rushed.
- 2013-2019 - Alan Ahlgrim has launched and led seven different Soul Care Covenant Groups involving 28 different leaders from across the country. These groups have spanned the age spectrum of 30-60 years of age.
- 2020 - We anticipate a tripling of groups through an additional 14 trained facilitator/leaders. One of the groups soon to launch is through a church planting network in the northeast and another through a church planting network in the southeast. In recent years church planting organizations have increasingly required coaching and mentoring for all who lead new congregations. In addition, a group designed for ministry couples will be launching in the Pacific Northwest. This group will also allow for separate sessions for the husbands and wives. Each group follows a similar template and commitment to mutual mentoring over a three-year period.
- 2021 - Transformational soul care will spread within the local churches. As pastors become increasingly comfortable with the covenant group model, they will be introducing similar opportunities for the men in their churches through on-going training and resources,
- 2022 - Scholarships become increasingly available for those receiving soul care and training to serve as facilitator/leaders. Currently, the cost for participation in a group is approximately $200 per month. Those fees are paid as compensation for the mentoring, coaching and constant availability of the facilitator. A fee from all participants is essential to highlight and prioritize the value and serious commitment of soul care. Partial scholarships are available as needed.
- 2023 - Doubling again of all groups from 16 to 32 as a national network of soul enriching covenant groups becomes an ever-expanding movement!
Registration for 2020 SoulCare Covenant Groups
- To register please submit contact information below so that a match can be made with a potential leader/facilitator. You will receive a call from the leader/facilitator to clarify the group details and schedule with you.
- The annual fee will be $2,400. (Partial scholarships may be available for leaders of smaller churches). This fee covers semi annual retreats, monthly Zoom calls and consulting as needed.
- Participants are responsible for any travel costs, restaurant meals and lodging if a free facility is not located.
- Please submit full payment prior to the first scheduled retreat, payable to: “Covenant Connections for Pastors,Inc.” (Employer Identification number 84-4085300)
- Mail to: Dr. Alan Ahlgrim - 1332 Onyx Circle, Longmont, Colorado 80504.
If you have any questions about a potential group or the sample covenant here, let me know.