Why Covenant Groups
- Every leader is either coming out of a season of special challenge, in the middle of a season of special challenge or heading into a season of special challenge! In a post Christian culture, facing complexities and moral ambiguities as never seen in our lifetime, leadership is more challenging than ever.
- Many ministers feel overwhelmed and deeply discouraged to the point that in a 2017 survey 43% reported that they were seriously considering dropping out of ministry. We now know that 70% drop out after 10 years and that 90% do not finish well.
- Soul Care Covenant Groups are designed to provide a safe and confidential setting for leaders to candidly process the hard hits and the heart hits that inevitably come their way. A covenant group is a healthy community in which each member is seeking something for the others and committed to helping one another serve well and finish well. Sadly, those who talk the most about community typically experience and enjoy it the least!
How It Works
- The model we follow is typically 4-3-2-1; four leaders, meeting over three years, twice a year in retreat and once a month by Zoom or phone calls with an experienced facilitator. This model allows honest, transparent and even vulnerable sharing as relationships deepen through the consistent devotion of a disciplined community. The group is not out to “fix others” or even to hold others accountable; rather, the commitment to be close establishes an atmosphere where all of this consistently occurs.
- Transformation is not an event; it’s a journey. It only happens on purpose, over time and in community. Soul work is not only slow work but shared work. Just as no one can speed their way into a soul satisfying relationship with God, neither can anyone speed their way into a soul enriching relationship with others.
- A covenant group is a relational agreement based upon trust. No leader will ever be stronger or more secure than the small circle of other leaders who surround and support him. We were made for life-enriching relationships. Community is at the heart of true Christianity, and true community can’t be rushed.
Registration for SoulCare Covenant Groups
- To register please submit contact information below so that a match can be made with a potential leader/facilitator. You will receive a call from the leader/facilitator to clarify the group details and schedule with you.
- The annual fee will be $2,400. (Partial scholarships may be available for leaders of smaller churches). This fee covers semi annual retreats, monthly Zoom calls and consulting as needed.
- Participants are responsible for any travel costs, restaurant meals and lodging if a free facility is not located.
- Please submit full payment prior to the first scheduled retreat, payable to: “Covenant Connections for Pastors,Inc.” (Employer Identification number 84-4085300)
- Mail to: Dr. Alan Ahlgrim - 1332 Onyx Circle, Longmont, Colorado 80504.
If you have any questions about a potential group or the sample covenant here, let me know.